Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Preparing For "Lasts"

I can't believe I only have ten days left in Stirling! A semester is a weird amount of time...it feels both really long and really short. As I begin the scary task of trying to fit this semester back into my suitcases, I've been thinking about all the things I'll miss about Stirling when I'm gone.

These next few days I'll be going through my list of "lasts". My last day trip out of Stirling, my last visit to my favorite pub Molly Malone's, my last visit to Chico's Indian Take-Away, my last morning walk behind Stirling Castle...even though I've only been here for a few months, I've become more attached than I thought I would be.

I really realized this when yesterday I took my lunch up to the castle so that I could eat sitting in the sun. The castle has been pretty empty most of the semester, but yesterday (I'm guessing because tourist season has arrived) there were tons of tour buses and cars rolling in and out. I snagged a spot on the wall to sit, and as I listened to people's conversations, I got more and more defensive of "my" town. No, that monument is not from World War I, why do you think he has a sword in his hand? No, that bridge is not the original Stirling Bridge! And oh, for the love of God, if I hear "But it wasn't like that in the movie Braveheart..." My true moment of pride came though, when a man came up to me and asked me if I lived here, to which I replied "yes", and he asked me about the battle of Stirling Bridge. I was then able to entertain him and his companions with about five minutes of history (with room for questions at the end, of course). Like father like daughter!

In an odd way, I'm happy that I'm sad, because it shows that this place has become special and that I've enjoyed my time in Stirling.


No comments:

Post a Comment