Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Stirling!

I am laying in bed at my host family's house in Stirling! Can't believe I'm in the town where I will be living for the next few months!  I'm so excited to see the town and explore tomorrow! For tonight, I'm exhausted! Some of the kids in my program are going out tonight, but I want to be well rested for tomorrow and I feel like I could sleep for a hundred years!

Today we had the last bit of orientation, where they talked to us about what to expect from our classes at Stirling. It's definitely a different set up! You're expected to do a lot more work outside of class, instead of relying on lectures to learn the information. On the one hand, I'm really happy about this, because I find it annoying to be spoon fed information. On the other hand, I'm a little bit nervous about adjusting to the new system! I'm sure it will be fine though :) And the good news is that I only have class on Mondays and Tuesdays, so lots of time to travel and stuff when I want to! Classes start this Wednesday though, so I'm going to have a week of doing nothing! It's kind of stressful trying to figure out a whole new school system, but I'm sure it will all work out.

We went to the National Museum in Edinburgh this afternoon, which has a lot of really cool historical artifacts. We spent the first hour looking at all sorts of historical artifacts from old standing stones to pieces of a Roman tent from 12 AD, and then we found the kid's section and had tons of fun playing dress up. Pictures to come of that!

After the museum we went back to the hotel, I had a few minutes to chat with my dad on Facebook, and then we loaded up in our coach to go to Stirling! We met our host parents right off the bus, and we will be staying with them for three days, until Saturday. I haven't gotten a chance to really talk to the dad yet, but the mom fed us (minced meat and potatoes, really yummy! I'm getting the recipe immediately!) and then she told us all about different restaurants and bars in Stirling and other stuff we can do. I don't think I will be going hungry, there are a million places to eat apparently! But currently I'm really looking forward to being able to cook for myself, since I've been living off of restaurant food for almost two weeks. It gets really old.

Tomorrow we are going to visit Stirling castle and maybe the William Wallace monument, not quite sure about the latter, but they are going to entertain us somehow apparently. I'm not too worried about it; I'm mostly just really excited to see Stirling and start to orient myself a little bit! Until tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. All sounds so wonderful Kiri! Can't wait to see pics of your flat.
    Love you
    Auntie Cheryl

    ReplyDelete